Friday, July 25, 2008

SQL Server - DBA Stuff

I've been a SQL Server DBA now for the past 8 years and I'm truely tired of DBAs of other technologies not taking the SQL Server DBA serious. Just a little per peeve of mine as it sometimes makes me feel the pain like that of a minority group. Anyway, with that out of the way, I'd like to begin this blogging thing with talks about SQL Server and the daily work and issues that a SQL Server DBA faces. I'll start with the one thing that I wish was much easier to do than I have found it to be. Scripting changes to a database so that the script will run smoothly each and every time it runs. I have used tools like database modeling tools or SQL Source Safe tools that produce script by which they claim, you can use to modify your database. Everytime I have run them I can be assured that they will fail in at least one and more likely many areas. I then have to run the script against a copy of the database that I originally wanted to change so that I can work out all the bugs or kinks before I have a clean enough copy of the script to run on the database that I really want to run it on. Any SQL DBAs out there that might like to talk about their experiences with this?
- Merrill

No comments: